Sunday, August 11, 2013

SUNDY'S SEVEN SABBATH SENTIMENTS - EDITION 14

1.
This week has been a busy and fun one!  The best part of the week was that my parents came for a visit from Colorado.  The worst part of the week was that they already left and we miss them tons!  They only came for 2 days... it wasn't near long enough.  But we had so much fun and they spoiled us rotten!  We played four games of Scrabble with Mom.  We went out to dinner.  We added to our food storage (thanks to mom and dad bringing up delicious foods and a trip to Sam's Club).  The girls got a lot of new clothes (which they are grateful for since they have to do their own shopping and don't like spending their own money on clothing.)  And we visited and discussed ideas and thoughts and books, etc.

Thanks, Mom and Dad.  I think ya'll should move here.  Kentucky is closer to the New Jerusalem than Colorado is.  :-)
2.
Key Lime Pie is the first one (besides me) to finish her summer Book Bingo.  (YEAH, Key Lime Pie!)  She was motivated because the "reward" for a blackout is $20 towards a new book(s).  She decided she is going to buy The Lord of the Rings series.  (It is $26 for the paperback set and so she only has to pay $6 for all 4 books.)

The books she read are:  A Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver DeMille, The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey, Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, Making the Music Decision by Jack R. Christianson, Key Lime Pie: A Culinary Mystery by Josi Kilpack, The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom, The Giver by Lois Lowry, The Little Book of Talent by Daniel Coyle and Hamlet by Shakespeare.  She said her favorite ones were:  The GiverHuckleberry Finn and A Thomas Jefferson Education.
3.
Kotten Kandy started a drug study for her exzema.  Thursday was a LONG day because she had to have the medication applied at 7 a.m.  They also took her blood three times during the day.  But the medication seems to be really working well.  Her hands look so awesome!  She doesn't enjoy the treatments though because they are soooooooo greasy.  The medication is made from a mushroom and is applied through a thick, greasy type of lotion.  We tease her that she has to get "greased" like a pig.  But she is so brave and is really following through.  I am proud of her and her determination to help others (that was her main reason for participating in the study - she wanted to help others.)  We have another week of "getting greased" twice a day.  We'll make it!
4.
My great grandfather on my father's side (Grandpa Head) played the bones.  Dad said he remembers his grandfather playing them at age 91.  I didn't even know what the bones were.  Apparently Grandpa Head was really good.  So... my Dad made some bones out of walnut wood.  They are beautiful.  And he gave them to us.  We've all had a try at making some rhythm, but it takes some coordination and practice.  I'm not very good.  Scott has taken to it pretty well though.  He always likes the rhythm section of music so it is right up his alley!
Here is a short video showing the bones:

5.
I LOVE homemade pico de gallo!  And my mom and sister have introduced me to a new product that makes making pico de gallo a BREEZE!  It is called a chop wizard.  I LOVE my new chop wizard.  It makes the pico in less than half the time.  It is my new favorite tool in the kitchen!
6.
I LOVE canning!  I didn't know I did.  But I have learned that I do.  This week I learned how to can/make pickles.  I have some awesome friends who have helped.  My Visiting Teacher, Mary, gave me the cucumbers.  Amy taught me how to make bread and butter pickles and dill pickles.  YUM!  And they look sooooo pretty!  I'm pretty pleased with  my stash!  And on Wednesday, Jan taught me how to juice apples and make apple jelly.  She shared her apples and we made some beautiful jelly.  I can't wait to eat it!  Thank you soooooooooooo much to all of my good friends- Amy, Jan and Mary - who have shared and taught me a new skill.  (My girls are learning a lot too.  We call it home economics.  And they both have As in the class.)
7.
Today is my 18th Wedding Anniversary!  Today is a day of reflection about our love and support of one another as a couple.  Today is a day to renew my love and affection for the best eternal companion ever.  Today is a day that I remember how I felt as I entered the temple to be married for time and all eternity to my best friend.  I am grateful for my marriage and my husband.  I am grateful that families are forever.  I am grateful for love.

As Tracy Bird sang:
It was no accident - me finding you
Someone had a hand in it
Long before we ever knew
Now I just can't believe you're in my life
Heaven's smilin' down on me
As I look at you tonight

I tip my hat to the Keeper of the Stars
He sure knew what he was doin' 
When He joined these two hearts
I hold everything
When I hold you in my arms
I've got all I'll ever need
Thanks to the Keeper of the Stars

Eighteen years ago the Keeper of the Stars really did know what he was doing...  I love you Scott DeGooyer!

4 comments:

  1. I think I've missed a few Sunday's as I can't believe you are to #14. That is awesome. I love your weekly reviews. I used to can/bottle all the time with my Mom when I was a young girl. I really want to start doing it again:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - Scott with hair, I almost forgot what he looked like back then... LOL I really do love you Scott!!!! That is why I chose you for my sister! :) I wish I could do canning at home with my girls. Wish I had more time to be able to do that with them! You are so lucky!!! I love my chopping wizard also and KeyLime Pie! Way to read!!! And just to add my agreement (x 1,000 fold)... , we DO have the best parents ever! The Lord knew what he was doing when he gave us to them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. DeGooyers - Thanks for a fun couple of days. I almost got enough Scrabble... But I didn't get enough hugs from my girls. I wanted to come back for more before we reached Missouri!
    Way to go Kiara on your reading! Did you find my note?
    Katia,you are a trooper, and I admire you for being so positive and sweet. Like I said, I still need more hugs!
    Happy Anniversary on Sunday - to Sundy and Scott!!!
    Mom/Mil

    ReplyDelete