Saturday, March 2, 2019

GENUINE JOY

Three things that bring me REAL joy: the temple, musicals and books!
Last night, Scott, Cody, Kiara, Katia and I all go to go see Stephen Schwartz's musical, Children of Eden.  It's one of my all time favorites!  Stephen Schwartz is an incredible composer, and his "take" on Genesis is poignant and beautiful!  This cast (especially Eve and the Father) knocked it out of the park!  I can't express how much I love music theater!  It really energizes me!  And the best part about this performance is that when I hinted that it would be fun to attend... my husband enthusiastically said "Let's do it!"  And all the kids were equally excited and even paid for their own tickets.  It was an inspirational evening!
Me and my family!
My Sexy Husband!
Our Cute Married Kids
Katia with the rest of us!
Today one of my dearest friends went to the temple for the first time today.  I wanted to go with them, but I was scheduled to work.  So Scott and Katia represented the DeGooyers.  Michaelea looked gorgeous in her new dress.  Scott says the spirit was truly wonderful!  I'm so proud of this young lady!
Michalea
Hugs!
Sister Morris and Michaelea and Sister McEvoy
These girls rock!
This week I finished reading The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.  (If you can't read the author's name, I think it's OK, because I can't either.)  It is a really difficult Russian classic novel.  But I plowed through and I'm glad I did.  It's a murder mystery involving the three sons of Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov: Dmitri; the impulsive and physical eldest brother and Ivan: the rational  atheist  and Alyosha; the spiritual, moral and kind youngest brother.  Throughout this looooong book, Dostoyevsky portrays the whole of Russian life, socially and spiritually.  There is a lot of moments that seemed preachy and long winded.  But the story is really good and I enjoyed learning a lot about Russian culture.  I also really felt there was a lot to learn about faith throughout the book, especially when Dostoyevsky focused on the youngest brother.  If you are in search of a book that is challenging and still interesting, this book is for you.  If you have a difficult time focusing, it may be a book you want to skip.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kiddo! This is my first time back to E-Mail and my visit from you.
    I hadn't heard about Children of Eden and am glad to get the review from one who sees them all and KNOWS!
    I don't believe I'll attempt "The Brothers" book. But my favorite genre is historical fiction. I love learning about other times and places around a good story.
    The temple experience must have been touching too. I'm glad Katia got to be a part of that.
    LOVE MY GIRLS! Mom

    ReplyDelete