Sunday, June 30, 2019

ON YOUR WAY

It has been an emotional week.
Last Sunday, my baby girl was set apart as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  President Bednar  blessed her to be able to love EVERYONE on her mission.  She was blessed with joy each day and the ability to testify.  I was grateful that she was also promised safety and health, as long as she is obedient.  I am so grateful for her decision to serve, but I wasn't prepared to cry as much as I did.  President Bednar asked me how I felt about my daughter serving the Lord for 18 months.  I wasn't prepared to break down - she is an amazing daughter.  I have been truly blessed to be her mother.  She is beautiful inside and out.  And her testimony is rock solid.  She truly loves God and the Savior.
Then... we traveled.  Before embarking on our journey on Monday, we ate lunch with the Bettenhausens.  It was a chance for Katia to say goodbye to our Kentucky family.  Amy (Katia's other mom) cried like I did.
Jelly Bean and Raisin will miss the silly times with Kotten Kandy
As she embarked, she said she'd really miss her "second family!"
Our trip was full of challenges.  We ended up missing our connecting flight due to weather.  And we spent the night in the Atlanta airport.  It was not fun.  It was not comfortable.  But we were together.  When we finally got into Utah, a day later... we ran into a few more snags with the rental car and getting our luggage.  We were exhausted, and had to change a few plans, but we still were able to see my parents, my sister and niece, Scott's sisters, and Scott's brother.
My mom and dad got Katia a cute outfit for her mission and then we ate dinner at Costa Vida.
Yummy 
Cousins: Katia and Sheila
Sheila plans to serve a mission too...
She's coming to Kentucky for a year to save money for her time in the field.
Grandpa Mac and Mil love this girl so much!
The feeling is mutual!
Aunt GJ and Sheila also love Katia Rae!
She's kinda easy to love!
After spending the night with Kevin and his family - it was Katia's 19th Birthday...
Finally 19!
And we took her to the MTC.  Since we were a bit early, we took a few pictures outside the Provo temple.
Aunt Stacey helped us drop Katia off...
The 3 Muskateers
We love our silly selfies!
We love the temple!
We love missions!
We love the Gospel!
We love Sister DeGooyer!
I was excited and happy the entire morning.  Everything seemed a bit surreal - and I was sure there would be no more tears.  (I cried Sunday.  I didn't need to cry Wednesday.)  Boy!  I was wrong!  I cried.  Not because I was unhappy or sad... but because I will really miss my sweet girl for 18 months.  I've been blessed to not only call her my daughter, but also one of my best friends!  She is really going to rock this experience!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your 3 Musketeer picture!!!
    The dress Katia chose to ware to the MTC is so beautiful! But more beautiful than that is the Sister missionary wearing it!!! <3

    ReplyDelete