Saturday, May 5, 2012

DERBY DAY & RANDOM THOUGHTS 2

I just read an interesting question on a friend's music blog:  What key is today in?  I had to think about that.  Today is overcast and yet sunny and warm.  There is a definite chance for some rain, but it should be a beautiful day for Derby.  (In Kentucky, Derby Day is a holiday.)  So I decided that today is a C minor with a modulation to A Major kind of day!  :-)   The C minor is for the clouds (but it isn't as depressing as other minors....)  The A Major is a shout out to the sun and the flowers near my front door.  I have more pics....  :-)  (The Baroque musicians regarded certain keys as standing for definite emotions or ideas:  G minor for tragic consummation, F# minor for transcendent suffering, B minor for human pain, E minor for crucifixion, D Major for worldly power and glory, and G Major for blessedness.)



I'm making rainbow wands for Primary music.  The kids can wave them as we sing "I Like to Look for Rainbows."  I made them using rainbow yarn and old recorder cleaning sticks I had held onto from my teaching days....  I think they are fun!


We went to the Fielding's annual Derby Party.  We had a blast!  They really threw a great celebration!  We swam, barbecued and visited with friends!
Scott, Key Lime Pie and Kotten Kandy
Jan, Me and Amy - AWESOME friends!
Apple Pie and Key Lime Pie
Marmalade and Kotten Kandy
1 -2 -3 JUMP!  The men create waves!  The bishop is the second from the left... Scott is the third!


I'll Have Another (yes, that is the name of the horse) won.  It was really, really close.  Bodemeister was ahead the entire race until the very end.  It was truly an exciting 2 minutes.  (For those of you who don't keep up with the Kentucky Derby - all the horses have very unusual names.  In fact, you can't race unless your horse's name is completely original.  There is a database of all the names used in the race for the past 138 years to make sure no name is repeated.)
#6 was the Bodemeister
Isn't it lovely?  I want to go visit Church Hill Downs....
And here is the winner!  I'll Have Another, #19

No comments:

Post a Comment