Friday, September 14, 2012

WICKED IS WONDERFUL

Remember the last time an original Broadway musical made you laugh, cry and think — in the right places, and for the right reasons?  Wicked did that!!!!!

We got to see the Broadway musical, Wicked, last night (Thursday, September 13th).  The show was incredible with it's catchy Stephen Schwartz score, colorful, slightly wacky costumes and wigs, and amazing talented cast.  I was mesmerized and enchanted.  (So were Key Lime Pie and Kotten Kandy!)

Wicked is a tongue-in-cheek back story about what was happening in the Land of Oz before Dorothy and Toto arrived by way of tornado.  The story centers around Glinda, the good witch, and Elphaba, the wicked witch of the west (or as my daughters used to say, "she's actually a misunderstood, green girl.")   The musical also explains how the Tin Man, Scarecrow and Cowardly Lion came to be.

The score is fantastic.  If you're a Wicked fan, you already know that.  Stephen Schwartz is my favorite modern day composer.  (He also composed Pippin, Children of Eden, Godspell and many other great shows.)  Wicked was truly amazing.  I read once that Schwartz's goal was to write a musical about two good friends that brought out the same emotions felt in Rogers and Hammerstein's The King and I.  I think he delivered.  

Not every musical needs morals, but this one teaches some great truths about friendship and blindly swallowing spoon-fed information.  It also teaches:  Being popular is not the most important reason for living; don't judge people by the color of their skin; if you call someone "a wicked witch' enough, others will begin to believe it; and hatred and authoritarianism flourish when a population looses it's free speech.  I hope my daughters learn those lessons....  I'm sooooo glad I could share this evening with my family.  

Anyone who knows me (and my Broadway-loving family) knows that Les Miserables has been my absolute favorite musical up until now; but I believe Wicked has taken it's place as #1.


1 comment:

  1. All I can say is, "Are they paying you for your testimonial?:!!! You've convinced me that I wish I'd gotten to go along... Mil

    ReplyDelete