Monday, June 4, 2018

SO MANY BOOKS... SO LITTLE TIME

For starters - I would not recommend reading Edgedancer by Brandon Sanderson unless you have read the first two Stormlight books.  It is not a stand alone book....
And another thing - I usually really enjoy Brandon Sanderson's books... but this one was not one of my favorites.  My problem was Lift, the main character.  I felt that this book was a chore to read because of her.  Lift is young and immature.  Her "awesomeness" drives me crazy.  And I don't like her selfishness and impulsiveness.
Brandon Sanderson is an amazing writer.  I just didn't like Lift very much.
Every now and then, I love a good, who-done-it mystery.  My dad recommended Anne Perry's The Face of a Stranger: The First William Monk Novel.  I had a hard time putting it down once I started it.  This is a great historical mystery.  The writing is excellent.  I enjoyed the Victorian England setting.  And I really enjoyed the detective, William Monk, who looses his memory and has to pull himself together to return to work.  No one is aware of his memory loss.  I was struck by the many layers of Monk's personality, as he discovers that he is a gifted investigator with high aspirations.
This character-driven mystery is definitely a fun read.  And I believe anyone who reads it will have trouble putting it down until the story is finished.
Spellbinding is how I would describe Peace Like a River by Leif Enger.  My dad tends to recommend great books.  And this is no exception. 
Peace Like a River is a very unique story, told from the perspective of a 14 year old asthmatic boy, Reuben.  There are miracles throughout this book, as well as adventure and loving family relationships.  The writing style is lyrical.  The characters are well developed, and the overall narrative really worked!  I LOVED this book.  It's a haunting story that is begging for me to re-read it.  This book gets two big thumbs up from me!  And I'll be recommending it to anyone who will listen.  It's on my favorite books list!

2 comments:

  1. If only I had time to read...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one of the best read people I know. I want to read both of the last two books you wrote about. I'm thinking I might be getting some down time this summer to do so... Thanks! Mom

    ReplyDelete