Tuesday, November 10, 2020

SISTER DeGOOYER - WEEK 71

 So in a lesson, Thursday evening with one of our families, we were talking about the Plan of Salvation. The Dad was explaining the story of Adam and Eve to his children, and decided to ask them what they were not allowed to eat. After some guessing, the son pipes up and says "Mushrooms?!" We all started laughing and then our fellowshipper shouts "Don't eat the shrooms!!" 

I found a kindred spirit, apparently the son thinks mushrooms are poisonous. My long researched conspiracy theory is that mushrooms are little aliens, sent to take over the universe one lawn at a time. So, I have found another believer. #thetruthisoutthere #attackofthemushrooms #nooneissafe

This week as I partook of the sacrament, I was thinking about some mistakes I have made in my life and even throughout just this week. I had an epiphany, sitting there in the church pew. I became aware that I was thinking about my weaknesses, mistakes, and shortcomings, in the term of definition; when in reality I should have been thinking about them in terms of refinition. [I think i just made up that word, haha] Our mistakes do not define us, they refine us. When we let them define us, we become weighed down; the atonement is what should define us-- nothing else. Refinement is and should be the effect of our shortcomings, produced and changed through the power of our Savior's love, mercy, and grace. This was just one of the many lessons learned this week in the life of Sister DeGooyer. 

We saw many miracles this week, especially as we started a gratitude wall! Every night we each write down 3 things to be thankful for! 

Nov1 
1. Baked Potatoes
2. The Book of Mormon
3. Testimonies
Nov2
1. Hannah was found! 
2. My name tag
3. The hills of Poky 
Nov3
1. MERCY and repentance 
2. My purpose as a missionary
3. Dogs 
Nov4
1. Exchanges 
2. Facebook Scrolls 
3. America- the land of the free 
Nov5
1. My district 
2. The Moore Family 
3. PMG 
Nov6
1. President and Sister Southward 
2. My companion
3. Trains
Nov7
1. Dancing in the rain
2. The Highland Zone Leadership Team
3. Macoroni and Cheese 
Nov8
1. SNOW 
2. The Atonement of Jesus Christ 
3. Divine Light 

It was truly a great week, so so hard, but so so good! I hope y'all are doing well! Love y'all! 

Sister DeGooyer 

P.S. I got my acceptance letter to BYU-I on campus! Not sure when I'll be heading there-- I find out, optimistically, this upcoming week! 

P.S.S. "As you study your scriptures during the next six months, I encourage you to make a list of all that the Lord has promised He will do for covenant Israel. I think you will be astounded! Ponder these promises. Talk about them with your family and friends. Then live and watch for these promises to be fulfilled in your own life." A prophetic invitation, that had escaped me until I read this talk! I felt so bad, a direct invitation from our Savior! Who wants to do this with me?! Oh, the quote is from President Russell M. Nelson in "Let God Prevail"


Exchanges 
Living my best life 
Smashing our FEARS 
We walked in the snowwww 

2 comments:

  1. She is amazing! LOVE her thought on refinement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A funny one with the investigators about "shrooms", huh? I laughed and cried all at the same time. Adam and Eve is about as basic as it gets - for Christians. I'm sad they didn't even know that story. But that's why Sister DeGooyer is there, isn't it?! Mom/Mil

    ReplyDelete