Sunday, October 16, 2022

DOUBLE THE CREATION

 I have always enjoyed making music.  I truly believe that a "song of the heart is a prayer unto God."  And I have been "creating" music since I sang my first song.  Nowadays, I "create" more with piano pieces and learning to play the cello.  This week, I learned that I could create music in a different way... and I am HOOKED!  My dad taught me how to make a mountain dulcimer.  It was exciting.  It was challenging.  It was fun.  And I learned so much.  I consider this a double creation... because once it's completed, I will be able to create music using it.  What a wonderful new way of "playing" with something that speaks to my heart.  Thank you, dad!  It was soooo much fun.  (I can't wait to finish it - another vacation - to put on the finishing touches.)

Believe it or not... a lot of the instrument is glued together.
We used LOTS of clamps.
Dad showing me one side... I did the other.
Dad explained that he used fancy clamps for the curfing.
Then he gave me these.
I laughed.
As we worked, we were constantly cracking luthier jokes.
For example: I learned how to "fret" correctly.  
(Apparently stressing out about everything isn't very productive.)  Ha ha ha!
And I learned to apply pressure without "fretting."
(For those who don't get our jokes: Frets are the small metal pieces that are used for determining
where to place your fingers to get the right note. Guitars also have frets.)
Isn't it beautiful?!
I had to cut down the top and bottom boards.
Dad also uses other important equipment like bricks.
I love the fancy tools!
Teaching me to sand off the excess.
I'm pretty good at it, if I say so myself.
Who knew so much sanding was involved?
I sanded first with the sander.
Then I used a handheld with 80 grit.
Then I used 120 grit.
Then I used 220 grit.
Then I used steel wool.
Each time I thought it was perfect... but each time it got better.
Who knew?
Dad doesn't stain his dulcimers.  He uses oil.
The oil really brought out the color of my walnut wood.
So far...  I have some finishing touches and I need to put on the hardware.
Can't wait to return to Idaho to finish!
Dad said I could take it home and finish... but it's tons of fun working with my pa!
I left it in a box to finish later.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I want to learn too. =) Glad you get to. <3

    ReplyDelete