Saturday, October 14, 2017

REASONS TO CELEBRATE

My baby is 19!  And she is happy, and doing well!  What more could a mother hope for?!  Well... I do wish she could live a little closer... but I'm excited about all the new adventures she is having and all the great things she is learning.  I couldn't be more proud of this cheerful, energetic, kind and spiritual young woman!  We love her sooooo much!
Her birthday was kinda fun... thanks to family, roommates and new friends!  Mariah, Gary and Shanae all took Kiara out for shakes.  Grandma and Grandpa took her out for dinner.  Her roommates and Family Home Evening family celebrated with cake and friendship.  And she got to go out with a new friend to play games and visit.  This Kentucky mom is sure grateful for all the good people in the west!
Cousins
Celebrating Kiara's Birthday
Shanae and Kiara at the temple....
On top of spending time celebrating the big 19... Kiara has also been sharing lots of stories of how wonderful her roommates are!  She loves all of them!  She and Amber have been attending Mary's intramural soccer games every week and enjoying them.  They love watching movies together, listening to music, visiting and eating Sunday dinners together.  She was blessed with the roommate lottery!  :-)
Mary - Kiara - Amber
Kiara and Amber
Other happenings:  I am no longer the Sunday School gospel doctrine teacher.  I actually was sad when they released me.  I was starting to get the hang of it.  I am now the 2nd counselor in the Relief Society.  I'm excited and nervous about my new calling.  I'm excited to work with such wonderful ladies.  I'm nervous because I'm not sure what I'm doing.  I guess I'll figure it out.
I just finished reading an interesting book.  I actually enjoyed it and learned a lot... but I have to warn possible readers that there is a LOT of terrible language throughout the story.  The book is Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance.  It's "a personal and passionate analysis of a culture in crisis - that of poor, white Americans."  It was troubling, but also inspiring.  I wasn't as offended by the language as I have been in other books, because the language here was used because they didn't know better and it is a way of life.  When bad language is used to be "edgy" I seem to be more offended.  Anyways... I love how J.D. continued to grow and progress throughout his life.  I also loved that he could have used a "victim mentality," but he didn't.  He took responsibility.  He still carries around the demons of his past, but he's moved forward with hope and faith.  I liked the book a lot.

2 comments:

  1. I liked the book too!
    Happy Birthday Kiara Lea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY STEP ON YOUR TOES DAY, KIARA! And next is Aunt Kristi's birthday this week. We're thinking about going to help her celebrate too... :) Mom/Mil

    ReplyDelete