Friday, January 19, 2018

SICK OF BEING SICK

LIFE IS FRAGILE... HANDLE WITH CARE AND LOTS OF SLEEP
Soooo... Scott and Kotten Kandy spent two days last week sleeping due to being sick.  Then my mother ended up in the hospital due to complications from influenza A and pneumonia.  So when I started feeling sick a couple of weeks ago, I chalked it up to having a horrible cold.  It didn't go away.  I decided to bite the bullet and go to the doctor yesterday.  Yup.  I have the flu too.  So I'm feeling icky and lazy and miserable.  I hate not being productive.  I'm telling myself that I am letting my body heal by sleeping and being "lazy."  But my mind is fighting the arguments.  What I really want is a big, new teddy bear to be sick with, Lipton noodle soup with Club crackers, and Diet Coke.  (And Criminal Minds in the background....)
Last week, Pistachio made us homemade potstickers for dinner.  YUMMMMMM!  He's such a great kid!  And he made amazing cookies a few days later.  Delicious!  I'm getting spoiled not having to cook much.
I've also read two books this year so far.  Trina recommended Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah.  I couldn't put it down.  But my opinion after reading it is 50/50.  I loved lots of it.  And I really didn't like lots of it.  Let me explain:  The book was elegantly written.  Kristin Hannah is descriptive and writes beautifully.  I also felt that she really was able to communicate the stories beautifully.  And I was fascinated by the mother's "fairy-tale" as she descrived the Siege of Leningrad in Russia so well.  The back story of Russia and the modern story of the two sisters were woven together expertly.  And I really related to the elder sister and her stage in life.
BUT I struggle with reading bad language and about immorality.  There is both in this book.  And I was disappointed by her modern-day view that living together before marriage, sex before marriage, etc. are normal and OK.  I also really struggle with her throwing the "F-word" into the story 5 times.  So I struggle with recommending this book.  It really was 50/50 for me.  I didn't want to put the book down.  And I was upset.  
also read Grandpa Mac by my dad.  I LOVED this book.  My dad writes: "One of the interesting things about humans is how they can so greedily soak up everything they can find about the most boring ancestor, yet continue to believe that no one would want to know anything about themselves.  When Adam and Eve partook of the forbidden fruit, they ran to hide.  When God came, he called out, 'Adam, where are you?' Now it has always struck me as strange that God, who knows everything, wouldn't know where Adam was.  Then I realized that He didn't ask the question because He didn't know.  God asked Adam so that Adam would have to account for himself and take a position.  'Here I am. Over here.'  Sometimes, in each of our lives, we must all stand up and state where we are in life, what we stand for, where we are, how we got there.  I hope this will tell you a little about where I am."
My dad is one of the wisest men I know.  And I am SOOOOOOOOOO glad he wrote this book for us.  I am "greedily soaking up" everything about my dad!  He's one of my heroes!  And I hope I can grow up to be like him!  This book is FABULOUS!  Because my dad is AMAZING!

1 comment:

  1. I read G.pa Mac too. One of my favorites!!! I love it so much <3 But then, I love him so much!!! :D
    Get to feeling better sister! Rest and stay Hydrated ;)

    ReplyDelete