Wednesday, September 4, 2019

SISTER DeGOOYER - WEEK 9

Hello, everyone! I hope your week was a good one! My week was pretty good; it was filled with ups and downs, just like ever other week. Still, God knew I needed more ups than downs this week and for that I can only be thankful. :) 

My theme for this week was service! I have wanted to do a lot of service since I got here, but Highland is full of people who turn you down when you offer service. However, this week we had three golden opportunities to serve!
 1) We helped a lady who is not a member clean up her yard. It was pretty fun, and most importantly it felt like fall! I enjoyed raking up the pine cones in the crisp autumn air. :) 
 2) We finally got to see Yoda again! This time it was in his natural habitat: the Palace Playhouse. We painted a sign for the upcoming fair, so that all of Pocatello can know that The Adam's Family is coming! Yoda said that next week we will start on the actual set!! 
 3) Sister Coleman and I got to help with a marathon, which was so much fun and honestly really inspiring! We woke up at 4 in the morning and drove out into the country to the start. There we helped with "bag drop," after we were done we were reassigned to the aid stations. We held out water to these wonderfully athletic people as they ran past us. Sister Coleman and I worked with a group of older ladies, who were just the best. They reminded me of characters in a movie that I can't name, because the mission veil is thick..... ;) 

SHILOH GETS BAPTIZED IN 5 DAYS!!! Sister Coleman and I are so excited! We had our last lesson with her on Sunday and she is ready! She loves this gospel and when we went over the baptismal interview questions she answered without a doubt that she knows that Jesus Christ is her Savior. I am so excited for her, especially since I get to see up close the happiness that has entered her life. With each lesson she seems to radiate more light. I cannot wait for Saturday!!

So much else happened this week, but for the sake of this email already being too long I will condense the rest for you. :) "It's a Man thing" - The DeMille's are literally my favorite. Area 51. Capreece is awesome, literally golden! Horse training, not riding, training. Zone Council! Valeria made us more Brazilian food! We finished up new member lessons with the Watson's, and in honor of that Sister Watson gave us pearls and lockets to put them in. [["You know, if you put enough pressure on coal it turns into a pearl!" -for Amy]]

We had a guy randomly stop us this week and ask us why sisters serve missions. We were kind of baffled by the question and we started to answer, but he decided to clarify. He asked, "Why do sister missionaries go on missions if they can't baptize?" We were kind of shocked at the question, but then I remembered something that I had read for "Come Follow Me" the past week. 1 Corinthians 1:17 "For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel:" He seemed happy with that answer and he went on his way. It was neat to be able to use what I had studied in a simple encounter. Scripture study matters! I encourage you to read the scriptures everyday, find those quiet moments in which you can. I promise, that if you do so, you will find opportunities to share what you have read with others, whether they are members or not. 

I love you all and wish y'all a great week! 

Sister DeGooyer 
Marathon Fun
Warming up in the car at the marathon.
Zone Council/Weekly Temple Update
Our last sodas before our 6 week soda fast.
I didn't think it would be so hard.

2 comments:

  1. I love the story about why sister missionaries serve! That niece of mine is strengthening my testimony with hers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just want to burst with good feelings about missionary work?!Katia's growth, the people of IDAHO are blessed beyond measure, and we get a front row seat to hear about it all! Mom/Gma Mil

    ReplyDelete