Wednesday, December 7, 2011

THOMAS JEFFERSON MADE ME DO IT!

I am often asked why Scott and I decided to home school our daughters. Well, the answer is because of Thomas Jefferson (and Oliver DeMille).

Where do I begin? Key Lime Pie and Kotten Kandy had been begging me to home school them for about a year. I kept telling them that I didn't think I could do it. Then, last December, I read this incredible book. It was life changing.

As I read this book, it was like someone had turned on the lights and I could finally see my kids' education AND my own clearly. I had felt there was something wrong with the current education system for some time, but it was difficult for me to put a finger on what it was. Everyone seems to point blame in different directions and at the end of the day nothing has been resolved. All we do is throw more tax money at a problem we can't define.

This book finally explains where the breakdown occurred and continues to occur. It gives SOLUTIONS! Basically, DeMille challenges us as parents to study the classics and then encourage our children to do so as well. He suggests that the parent/child relationship should be one of mentor/student.

The Thomas Jefferson approach to learning resonated with me. It was because of this book that I thought we could actually go ahead and home school our daughters this year. It has been a wonderful experience for us. I've based most of our curriculum on classic literature. It has been exciting to watch our children respond and get excited about learning.

Key Lime Pie and Kotten Kandy are self-motivated with their education and they enjoy learning. Because of this book, Scott and I are more sensitive to their needs and better able to facilitate their growth. We understand better how to guide them with patience and wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment