Thursday, April 26, 2012

HOME SCHOOL CONFERENCE

I'm sorry that I have been missing in action for the past two weeks.  I have been anxiously engaged in good causes but my blogging has suffered.
I was blessed to be able to attend a home school conference last weekend in Cincinnati.  It was amazing!  I had fun with my roommates; Michelle, Lori and Tina.  And I learned so much from all the classes I was able to attend.
Amanda Bennett was one of my favorite presenters.  She has been married for over 32 years to the same guy and has 18 years of homeschooling experience.  She is the author of more than 90 books and teaches a lot about unit studies.  (Which is a method I love using with my daughters.)  She is very down to earth, and uses both humor and candor to share her messages of encouragement as well as practical help for homeschooling parents.  I loved her classes.
Andrew Pudewa was another of my favorite speakers.  Andrew developed the Institute for Excellence in Writing.  He addresses issues relating to teaching, writing, thinking, spelling, and music with clarity, insight and practical experience.  (He also is a graduate of the Talent Education Institute in Japan [Suzuki Method].  He actually studied under Mr. Suzuki, himself.)
There was also TONS of shopping for curriculum and school "goodies".  I had to show a lot of self-restraint not to spend millions of dollars.  :-)  I think I did good.  I spent under $50.

It was a fun trip.  And an educational one.  I'll share my notes later....

2 comments:

  1. That sounds fun to go to. I am glad you had a chance to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! My name is Kay, a production coordinator at East Entertainment, which is a Japanese TV production company based in Tokyo. We're currently producing a special one-time program to be aired in Japan, and the program is going to be about textbooks from all over the world. We'd love to feature the homeschool convention photo posted above to show how big the homeschool market is in the US. Please let us know if you are willing to grant us permission! Thank you so much for reading this and looking forward to hearing back from you. -Kay email: kasumi-okabe@east-ent.co.jp

    ReplyDelete