Tuesday, April 10, 2012

SCIENCE CLUB

This week is spring break for our school district... but not for my daughters! :-) Home school is a different ballgame. We ARE having fun this week. We are participating in (read: in charge of) Science Club every day!

Monday we learned about crystals. We learned that no two crystals are exactly the same and that flat surfaces on crystals are called 'faces.' We grew crystals on pipe cleaners. We painted with crystals on black paper. And we made bath salts out of crystals. It was fun! (I forgot the camera, but I will take pics of the crystals tomorrow!)

Today (Tuesday) we learned about our Solar System. First we talked about the moon and it's different phases. (I even explained how when I was younger I believed that my Grandad ate the moon. - The kids loved that story and told me they thought the moon tasted delicious too!) We created the different phases of the moon using Oreo cookies! :-) Then we discussed the planets and their sizes. We compared the sizes to different objects like soccer balls and walnuts. Finally we created our own solar systems using clay.







Tomorrow we will do more science.... So watch for another post soon!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, sorry! This looks more like science - but your Mom still managed to make it play too... :)
    (She's a one-of-a-kind Mom/Teacher!) Bet you NEVER want to go back to public schools. Am I right? Mil

    ReplyDelete