Tuesday, April 7, 2015

GREAT NEWS AND BOOK REVIEWS

I'm a poet!  I love how my title rhymes.  It's the little things, really.  And I guess it makes me a little nerdy that I like how news and reviews rhymes!
First:  THE GREAT NEWS
Key Lime Pie had a really awesome night at work on Saturday:
1.  She was asked to Prom by one of her friends at work.  He's a cool kid.  And Key Lime Pie is really excited to go.
2.  She also received the Employee of the Month award.  She got a bonus and is excited that somebody noticed her work ethic.
What a fun night for my oldest daughter!
Now:  THE BOOK REVIEWS
I have read quite a few books that I haven't had a moment to write about.  So:
I finished the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson.
The Well of Ascension is the second book in the series.  It continues the saga of Vin and Elend.  I thought this book started off kinda slow.  But once it got going, I liked it as much as the first book.  I was frustrated when Elend didn't live up to his potential at one point.  I was shocked by a twist with a character named Zane.  And I was glad I still got to share in the lives of the characters I fell in love with in Mistborn series.
And The Hero of Ages finishes the series.  I cried at the end.  I think it ended well, but I was also sad about the ending.  Does that make sense?  I don't want to give anything away, but I really loved these characters and I cried that some of them died, although it was probably for the best.  I recommend these books - but be warned that they are kinda violent.
I also read Taking the Stairs by Rory Vaden.  Actually, I listened to it on our trip to Colorado.  I really liked this book.  My husband and brother have been begging me to read this book, but I hadn't made the time.  It is an amazing book.  I want to re-read it with a hard copy now.  My perspective has changed a lot from listening to it.   Here are some of my insights:
I need to just do... to just do it now.  I need to pick up the phone, send a thank you card, read a book, go back to school, etc.
Another thought:  "Success is never owned.  It's rented, and the rent is due everyday."  I need to pay my dues to be a good mother, a good disciple of Christ and a good wife.

One of the biggest "aha" moments was when Rory Vaden told the story about a woman who was frightened.  He said, "It's OK to be scared.  Do it scared."  I thought about my depression and how sometimes I let that get in the way of doing good things.  I changed the phrase, in my mind, to "It's OK to be sad.  Do it sad."  That mantra is amazing!  I'm trying to live by it!  I really liked this book.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read "Take The Stairs" :)
    As for Kiara - Whoot Whoot! She is so fun to be around with her positive attitude. I'm not the least bit surprised by either.

    ReplyDelete