Wednesday, July 11, 2018

HALLO DRESDEN

Looking down from the top of the church tower over Dresden
Dresden was my personal favorite city we visited on our vacation.  It is gorgeous!  I can't believe it was COMPLETELY destroyed at the end of WWII.  The Germans have restored it to it's original 1600s beauty.  The Saxon King, Agustus, loved beauty and art.  (He did not like war.)  He had built a beautiful palace and church.  The people's church was also breath-taking.  There are still evidences of the 1945 bombing raids.  But the culture, beauty and spirit remain.  I loved it!  I loved the history!  I loved the architecture!  I loved the statues!  And I especially loved the churches!
I loved being in the churches.  They were so splendid!
I loved that they worshiped Christ!
I love that they wanted the best for the Lord!
The courtyard between the palace and church was stunning!
Scott loved the balance of it.
I just enjoyed the beauty and statues!
Before the trip, Katia fell in love with the movie, A Knight's Tale.
She was excited to see jousting exhibit.
We ended our Dresden day trip with dinner at an authentic German Saxon restaurant.  It was delicious!  (I still don't like sauerkraut, but Scott does.)
This guy serenaded us during dinner.
And we sang "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean" with him.
BTW All roads and sidewalks are paved with cobblestones in Europe.  It makes walking a bit more difficult, because it's easy to turn an ankle.  Scott and Chris both had problems with the unevenness of the paths, but I thought it was charming.

2 comments:

  1. I think the whole thing sounds Charming! I think I would love to Spirit of the churches the best also. I'm so happy you got to take such a fun trip. Can't wait to see more pictures...😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so fun seeing the pictures that remind me of our year there! The familiar words like palaces and cobblestone paths just simply aren't a part of our culture! Your pictures are especially good ones...
    Mom/Mil

    ReplyDelete