Tuesday, July 26, 2022

ROAD TRIP WITH MY BESTIE!

This past week was DeGooyer Day.  Since all of our children live in Idaho, we traveled to them to celebrate.  Since Scott and I are officially empty nesters, we decided to stretch our two day drive to three and sight see on the way.  We drove through South Dakota and got to see so many fun things.  We also made a quick stop to see our Bettenhausens.  (Which I accidentally forgot to photograph.)  And another highlight was reading books together.  Check it out:

First we stopped at Sioux Falls.
There were some amazing statues.
My favorite was this one because it reminds me of one of my
favorite children's books: The Remarkable Farkle McBride.
Lovin' the flowers!  And this cute man!
Sioux Falls was beautiful!
The combination of rocks with grass surrounding the falls,
was incredible!
I loved this statue called "For Which We Stand."
On the road we saw some amazing metal art.
We stopped.  A solitary man displays his metal statues in a
huge field in the middle of nowhere.
We strolled through the art.
Some of it was fun.
Some of it was scarry.
And some of it was whimsicle.
It was unique, fun and worth the stop.
(Yes, the wind was insane.)
Loved the vultures.
This one had it out for Scott.
The dragons were incredible - and pretty big.
How random?!
This and the Trojan horse were the first things we saw from the road.
I'm standing in front of the statue to show perspective.
Scott found these red "creatures" fascinating.
I LOVE flowers!  And metal flowers never die.
They wouldn't fit in my kitchen though.
Using this hammer would be impossible.
The Trojan Horse
My favorite dragon.
Loved the whimsy of this art.
Then we went to the Corn Palace.
EVERYTHING was about corn!
These murals were HUGE... 
and completely made with corn and corn husks and wheat.
Each year the World's Only Corn Palace is redecorated.
The corn is cut in half length ways and nailed in place.
It costs about $130,000 each time.
We loved the domes.
And the murals were outside as well as inside.
I love this guy!
Also... this is INCREDIBLE.
Dignity is located at a rest stop.
She's beautiful in person.
Even the back is stunning.
Scott LOVES buffaloes.  He always has.
So we take pictures of them whenever we see them.
We also stopped to see the Bridal Falls.
We spent the night in Billings, MO.
So... of course, we had to stop to see the Billings Temple.
It's beautiful!
All temples are truly gorgeous!
Billings, MO
I LOVED the mountains right next to the temple.
This book was terrific.
I'd definitely recommend it.
We read it and we read:
Another great book that I read outoud.
All of us CAN do hard things!
I love road trips with my husband!  Can't wait to go on another one with him!  Next... DeGooyer Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment