Tuesday, May 10, 2016

SIMPLE GIFTS

The Gang!
The old Shaker hymn, Simple Gifts, has an additional verse about friendships:
     'Tis a gift to have friends and a true friend to be.
     'Tis a gift to think of others not to only think of "me."
     And we hear what others really think and really feel,
     Then we'll all live together with a love that is real.
This song is especially appropriate today because not only did we go on a field tri
p to Shaker Village, but we went with our great friends!  We are so blessed with these families in our life!  And we are truly grateful for their gift of friendship and love! I love our little group!
Shaker Village was fascinating.  They chose a peaceful way of life.  They were celibate, and they believed in equality.  They strove for simplicity and perfection.  Shakers believe we are living in the millennial period already and that Christ has already returned (in the form of a woman they called Mother Ann.)  Only 4 Shakers live in the entire world now.  (two women and two men)
BTW Did you know that Shaker practices are mentioned in the Doctrine and Covenants?  Apparently Leman Copley was a Shaker before he joined the Church.  He had a hard time letting go of some of his former beliefs and was instructed in section 49 to repent.  Cool!  Eh?
As usual, I took lots of pictures....  Here are the best:
Key Lime Pie, Almond, Juice, Asparagus and Kotten Kandy
Feeding the chickens...
Jelly Bean, Apple Pie, Nuts, Marmalade and Amy
and the pigs.
My statuesque boy - Jelly Bean
In the acoustic meeting house....
Listening to Shaker music.
Yes, she sang "Simple Gifts"!
Interpretive Dance by Mark - 
He'd fit right in with the Shaker community.  JK
Kotten Kandy and Key Lime Pie thought the singer's job was awesome!
She was very talented!
In the attic....
Almond, Apple Muffin, Rice Krispie Treat, Maple and Marmalade
Taffy, Nuts, Apple Muffin, Key Lime Pie and Kotten Kandy
"She ain't heavy.  She's my sister!"
Maple and I are Shaker Sisters!
Why?  Because we "confessed" secrets.....
Tic Tac Toe in the dirt.
Clever Girls!
Aren't they cute?
And these guys are too cool for words!
I LOVE my Bettenhausens!
And I LOVE my own daughters!
The role of Shrek is being played by Toffy!
And Maple is our resident Toucan!
If I could adopt sons - these boys would by my first choice!
Almond, Asparagus and Taffy
Standing and listening about Shakers...
I really, really, really like these two girls!
It's a good thing... they're mine!
Teenagers walking in-step!
We are truly blessed by our simple gifts of friendship, love and fellowship!  I'm glad for this great group... I'm glad we can take field trips once in awhile... and I'm glad we homeschool!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...if Shakers are celibate, that means there must have only been one generation of Shakers, right? It's hard to understand how that belief can be so all-encompassing of their lives. Like what is life about - one generation of people who shared religious beliefs for one generation?! Can imagine your field trip was way interesting! And your pics were way good, Sundy Lea! Mom

    ReplyDelete